Enterprise Zone incentives help provide a competitive advantage for Ohio sites. Tax incentives help offset the high costs of business start-up activities. Businesses can reinvest in their facilities and equipment, helping them grow and remain competitive in the long term. Tax incentives provide a basis for a long-term relationship between the community and business.
Enterprise Zones in Mahoning County:
- Zone 180: The City of Youngstown
- Zone 181 The City of Sebring
- Zone 182: The cities of Campbell, and Struthers, the Village of Lowellville, and Coitsville Township.
- Zone 269: Austintown Township
- Up to 75% exemption in the city of Youngstown. Abatements in excess of 75% require approval by the Youngstown Board of Education.
- Up to 60% exemption in other communities. Abatements in excess of 60% require approval by the affected school district.
- The maximum abatement term is 10 years. Abatements in excess of 10 years require approval of the affected school district.
Foreign-Trade Zones (FTZ) are secure areas under U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) supervision that are generally considered outside CBP territory upon activation. Located in or near CBP ports of entry, they are the United States’ version of what are known internationally as free-trade zones. There are three general purpose Foreign-Trade Zones in Mahoning and Trumbull Counties.
- Duty Deferral: delay payments of duties until the inventory leaves the zone.
- Duty Reduction: pay the lower of the component or finished product duty rate.
- Duty Exemption: certain types of merchandise may be exempt from duties and/or excise taxed when admitted to an FTZ.
- Duty Elimination: eliminate duty on products that are re-exported, rejected, scrapped or destroyed.
- Direct Delivery: bypass congestion at sea ports by applying for authority to receive product, break seals and clear customs within the FTZ facility.
- Weekly Entry: reduce merchandise processing fees by combining shipments on one entry filed weekly.
- No Import Quotas: inventory stored in an FTZ is not subject to import quotas.